Luyện ielts online, offline
Cam kết đầu ra
liên hệ Thầy Anh
Bài mẫu band 8.0+ cho đề thi ngày 12/12/2015
People should follow the customs and traditions when people start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Sample band 8.0+
Upon commencing(1) a new life in a foreign country, people often face a dilemma(2) of whether they should stick to their cultural values or adhere to(3) the local lifestyle. Although living up to the standards(4) of one’s cultural background is legitimate on a certain level, I still believe that adaptation to the host country’s traditional practices(5) is sorely essential to immigrants.
On the one hand, I agree that under various circumstances the adoption of new ways of living seems to be a headache, especially when it comes to long-standing values and religious matters(6). For example, an Asian family who has moved to the US would find public kissing highly inappropriate as they were taught how to express their emotions differently during their early phase of childhood. Such a standard has been profoundly imprinted on(7) their minds and can hardly be compromised. Additionally, the existence of unique cultural beauty within immigrants’ communities would be put at stake(8). When people are exposed to foreign lifestyles(9) every day, there is a chance of complete cultural assimilation(10) which potentially leads to the disappearance of traditional beliefs and behaviors among certain groups of expatriates(11).
On the other hand, I am inclined to the idea of immigrants’ adjustment(12) to their way of living in order to fit in the local community. The first point worthy of note is that such adaptation would help those people integrate(13) more quickly into the new setting. Obviously if a person leads a bizarre lifestyle(14), he will not be able to get on well with(15) his neighbors.Compliance with(16) the host nation’s social norms and conventions(17) can also eradicate the worry of social conflicts(18). Expatriates who are unwilling to adhere to the new cultural ideas and behaviors might have to face the hostility(19) from the locals and suffer from the sense of isolation(20) from society.
In the light of both possible responses to such the matter of cultural adherence from immigrants as analyzed above, it seems to me that expatriates should learn to adapt themselves to live in harmony(21) in the exotic community bycomplying with(22) its traditional conventions.
Useful vocabulary & expressions:
1. To commence sth: Bắt đầu cái gì đó
2. To face a dilemma: Đối mặt với tình huống khó xử
3. To adhere to: Tuân theo cái gì
4. To live up to the standards: Sống theo chuẩn mực nào đó
5. Adaptation to the host country’s traditional practices: Sự thích ứng với những tục lệ truyền thống của quốc gia mới
6. Long-standing values and religious matters: Những giá trị lâu đời và những vấn đề tôn giáo
7. To be imprinted in/on: Hằn sâu vào tâm lý ai đó
8. To be put at stake: Trong tình hình nguy hiểm
9. To be exposed to foreign lifestyles: Tiếp xúc với lối sống nước ngoài
10. Cultural assimilation: Sự hòa nhập văn hóa
11. Expatriate: Người di cư
12. Adjustment: Sự điều chỉnh
13. To integrate into: Hòa nhập vào cộng đồng
14. To lead a bizarre lifestyle: Có lối sống kì lạ
15. To get on well with: Hòa đồng với ai đó
16. Compliance with: Sự tuân theo cái gì
17. Social norms and conventions: Những ý niệm
18. Hostility: Sự hằn học
19. The sense of isolation: Cảm giác bị cô lập
20. To live in harmony: Sống hòa hợp
21. To comply with: Tuân theo cái gì