Air pollution is due to various causes, such as burning fossil fuels and emission of hazardous pollutants released by factories and automobiles, e.g Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Air pollution causes many health problems, such as respiratory diseases, eye irritation, and premature newborn babies.
- Air pollution can destroy the ozone layer that protects us from the harmful rays of the sun and consequently, air pollution contributes to global warming.
- Air pollution damages natural resources and leads to ecosystem degradation and poor air quality.
- Air pollution can be reduced by implementing energy efficiency programmes, introducing vehicle emission standard, expanding car replacement programmes
- Extending environmentally-friendly means of transport, expanding transport facilities: park-and-ride-terminal, providing carpool facilities
- Regular check-ups for cars should be obligatory
- Using more efficient engines and modern exhaust-filtering devices
- Using cleaner fuels
- Developing tree planting programmes
Why is air pollution a global health concern?
Because air pollution creates many health problems that would reduce people’s life quality all over the world. Furthermore, air pollution contributes to the damage of the Ozone layer without which we cannot survive. Last but not least, it also destroys the habitat of wild animals, affecting negatively to ecology system.
2. Do you think anti-pollution measures should be a high priority?
Yes absolutely, because air pollution is global health concern. I think people all over the world and their governments should prioritize the programmes for acting against air pollution. All nations need hand in hand to build a world without air pollution.
3. What can large cities do to improve their air quality?
Firstly, They need to carry out energy efficiency programmes, like introducing vehicle emission standards. So a large number of cars which produce excessive exhaust fume are not allowed to be on roads.
Secondly, Cities should develop public transportation. This can helps reduce the number of cars and traffic jams.
Finally, Cities encourage citizens to use electric cars that don’t produce exhaust fume.